Feed-in Tariff for Renewable Energy

The feed-in tariff (FiT) scheme is a Government backed initiative which offers financial incentives to both domestic and commercial property owners to invest in solar photovoltaic (PV) and other renewable energy systems.

Under the scheme you are paid for every unit of energy you generate (whether you use that energy or not), and these payments are index-linked and guaranteed for 20 years.

The initiative was launched in 2010 and it has resulted in tens of thousands of PV installations on domestic and commercial properties across the UK as people look to take advantage of the financial returns the scheme offers, as well as benefit from reduced energy bills and the protection against future energy price rises that a PV system offers.

Feed-in Tariff Rate Changes

Installations with an eligibility date between 8th February 2016 and 31st March 2016.(p/kWh) - all FIT's are in PENCE

for the most up-to-date FIT tariffs please visit:


Available Band (kW) Standard Generation Tariff Multi-installation Tariff

If Energy Efficiency Requirement Not Met -

medium rate
<4 kW (new build) 4.39 4.39 T.B.C
<4 kW (retrofit) 4.39 4.39 T.B.C
>4-10 kW 4.39 4.39 T.B.C
>10-50 kW 4.59 4.59 T.B.C
>50-100 kW 2.70 2.70 T.B.C
>100-150 kW 2.70 2.70 T.B.C
>150-250 kW 2.70 2.70 T.B.C
>250 kW-1000 kW 2.27 2.27 N/A

Export Tariff

0.87 N/A N/A


In order to be eligible to receive the FiT, you need to adhere to certain criteria:

  • Your installer must be accredited with the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS). Synergy Power are fully MCS accredited.
  • Your panels must also be MCS approved. Synergy Power use high-efficiency PV modules supplied by the leading manufacturers.
  • Your system size must be less than 10-50 kWp to qualify for the highest tariff rate. Most medium sized systems are well within this limit.
  • Your energy supplier must offer FIT payments. This is a legal requirement for the big energy suppliers, but some of the smaller providers may not, see the full list.
  • From 1 April 2012, habitable buildings must comply with minimum energy efficiency standards and obtain an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). See below for more information.

Energy Performance Certificates

From 1 April 2012, only buildings that have an energy performance certificate (EPC) at grade D or above will receive the full feed-in tariff

EPCs give an overview of how energy efficient the property is. It shows how your home ranks on a chart of seven coloured bands, ranging from A (the most efficient, in dark green) to G (the worst, in red).